Sunday, August 20, 2017

Lughnasa notes and musings -part 2

Daylight is so much less now. 
Frantically rushing towards darkness, the spiral of weeks moves onward.


Lughnasa is such a tipping point.
We think of the Equinoxes as fulcrums, but these holidays before them really alter the trajectory.

And I do not morn the waning summer, nor do I look to hasten the wintertime.

I am an August baby, the bugs have only recently started their non-stop 24 hour buzz, 
fruit processing time has begun.
It feels like the summer should begin now. I am almost finally ready.

We have spent so much of this season doing and praying.
Working on health and sanity and schedules.
Lughnasa was the first time to rest, to look around at this blessed bounty of our life,
welcoming the time of the shining heart.

I couldn't take any notes at the time because there was a satiety that I needed to sit with,
even knowing that the moment and memory would ebb like the endless days.
Sometimes it feels like the spirit lingers longer when I don't try to capture it.
Then was after dropping off art, after being interviewed as artists, after the extended family time
and before the birthdays.


 we started the fire in the morning, just us. 
  
  clippings of cedar and juniper, flower stalks from the garden, our sweetgrass braids




she was supposed to come early, but all things on summertime time, 
and everyone arriving at once 
as it happens 



the peonies from last season, the uneaten sweets, herbs and beer.
I kept searching my pockets for more to sacrifice, there are so many prayers to be said,

so much gratitude to share, never enough simple time or words.


I remember the grounding meditation of earth and breath and birdsong.
I remember his steady quiet drumbeat.
I remember us 3 women circling as we do.
I remember the kid smiling. 

and especially sending out our thoughts and prayers, our song and healing to our brother

           
the fire is always like dancing spirits
especially in photos 








 Our Omens
from the ancestors: Berkanu or beginning
from the Spirits of Nature & Place: Tir or that directional movement upwards
from the Gods & Godesses: Daguz or day 
for the Season: Mannaz or man

ONWARD 





 the light in the center coming forth







and now tomorrow there is to be a total solar eclipse,
an owl called just outside the window in the almost dark.


No comments: